Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2 + 2 = 6

Wanting to do something is a lot different from doing it.

As we walked along the hillside in Bukonya, Jonathan and I were introduced to two orphans, one of whom suffers from extreme malnutrition.

Before close of day, Jonathan had found out where the family of orphans lives, a small cottage the size of an average walk-in-closet, and arranged to take to them some of the sandwiches we had left over from our packed lunch. He insisted on taking them himself so he could be absolutely positive they were delivered that day—that instant.

Some moments call for reflection. Some call for immediate action.

Laziness is a poor form of prudence when the moment calls for action.



I want to eat well. I want to exercise. I want to spend more time with my family. I want to get eight hours of sleep a night. I want to learn Greek, French and Hebrew. I want to learn to play the violin and the piano. I want to paint more and write more.

These things require timing, planning, and intentional arrangement of my days and weeks in order to make sure that I have time for them to happen. When I don’t set them as goals and when I don’t set myself to accomplishing my goals, then they don’t get done. When you have a desire, and you make that desire a goal, it will require sacrifice. If you’re not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve your goal, I don’t recommend making it one. Sometimes you have to sacrifice things you think you want now for things you will want more in the future.

Some fights we fight for the principal. Some fights we fight to win. You won’t always win, even when you put everything you’ve got into it. But my, oh my, isn’t it nice to go down saying you gave it everything you had?

But you’ve got to know what you want to fight for. You have to know what you want to get behind. You must know what desires are strong enough to make goals because goals require plans and plans will require sacrifice.

One of my goals is to see a community in Rwanda transformed through coffee.
Part of my plan is to get you to make it one of your goals as well.
Then we’re working together.



Two heads are better than one.
Four hands are better than two.
Six are better than four.


I can't do this without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment